Let's Discuss

Ask Question - Get Answer, and connect with The Community

• Rana Hushen

March 12, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Original Question: Why do graphic designers only use two tools: Photoshop and Illustrator?

Your question contains a huge assumption which is not entirely correct.

I use many more tools than just Photoshop and Illustrator. Some of them aren’t even software. (No, really.)

Here are some of the software tools I have used in the first two days of this week:

• Photoshop and Illustrator (because they are the premier applications for raster and vector artwork, respectively)
    • Pages (because graphic design is pictures and words)
    • Google Docs and Sheets (because they make it easy for a widely distributed team to collaborate on text documents and spreadsheets)
    • Audacity (along with screen captures, because I needed graphics of very specific waveforms)
    • Font Book (because fonts need to be managed)
    • Sublime Text (because sometimes I write code too)
    • Safari and Chrome (because browsers are tools too)

And here are some of the hardware tools I have used in the first two days of this week:

• Pencil, Pen, and Paper (because they are still the most immediate, most tactile, and highest resolution)
    • Digital Camera (because I don’t have a scanner, and needed to get Pencil, Pen, and Paper into Photoshop)
    • My Bicycle (because a ride at lunch time calms my mind and often jogs loose some solutions to design problems when I’m not concentrating on them, which means my bike is a productivity tool)