Let's Discuss

Ask Question - Get Answer, and connect with The Community

• I’M HVL

February 24, 2022 at 12:12 am

First, stop calling it UX/UI. UI (or User Interface Design) is a discipline within the field of User Experience Design (or UX). Its one of six disciplines generally considered part of UXD.

Second, pick up some books on UX. I would recommend starting with “A Project Guide to UX Design” by Russ Unger and Carolyn Chandler because it gives a nice overview of the process as well as mentions some of the disciplines. I have a top UX books list here: Nick’s Top User Experience Books

Third, I wrote about this in 2009, tho a dated post it is still very much relevant today. I’d give it a read: Starting a Career in User Experience Design

From there decide if you want to be self-taught, take an immersive course at some place like General Assembly (full disclosure, I teach the UXD Immersive course in Seattle for GA), or take the more formal (and spendy) approach of a formal education in UXD or HCD. There is a long list of schools here: UX Degrees – A Global List of UX-related Bachelor & Master Degrees – UX Mastery

I would meet with someone experience in UX who is familiar with the industry locally, they can recommend different schools. For me, if not looking for a bootcamp (10 week crash course), I would recommend UW HCDE.

Lastly, find a mentor. They don’t need to be a 20 year veteran of UXD, they just need to have a few more years under their belt. There are many mentoring programs out there. I run UX for Change which helps pair up mentors with mentees in UXD through the Mentorship Initiative.

I hope this helps a little.